Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recurring Themes

I just finished reading Joe Buissink's book "Wedding Photography from the Heart," and I immensely enjoyed it. He is a talented photographer and seems like a genuinely decent human being.

The book was chock full of interesting insights and advice, but I found a short section in the back where he is candid about the mistakes he has made the most poignant. He makes many interesting points that any aspiring photographer should be aware of, but I found this one almost a personal warning to me:

"There is no career field I'd rather be in than photography and no business I could love more. Even so, my business isn't who I am."


So many times in my life I have made the mistake of letting my career and occupation dictate my greater identity. Hopefully, this time I can learn from the past and move forward into a brighter future.

It is also uncanny how much of the wisdom found in Joe Buissink's words are also communicated to me at my studio, though in slightly different words (and usually punctuated with the word 'bitches.'). This is where I need to be. At this very moment, there is no better place for me. And that is a very valuable realization.

On a final note, I find it encouraging that while Joe Buissink doesn't enjoy taking posed photographs, he finds that his early training in such work is most helpful to him and serves as a solid foundation. If a deeper understanding of lighting, posing, and composition are the end result of my recent depressing attempts at portraiture, I am even more inspired to keep trucking along.

No comments:

Post a Comment