Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Fresh Start

I used to blog much more regularly, and I am not quite sure why I stopped. Heck, I used to blog before there was such a thing as a "blog." I haven't stopped writing, but I just haven't felt the urge to regularly update my little space on the internet universe for the last 5 years or so.

This blog is a little more focused on photography, but I am sure I won't be able to help sometimes writing generally about life. I could try to stop, but that just wouldn't be me.

Writing has been a passion of mine since high school. I learned early on that I could get away without framing, editing, or generally trying too hard on assignments as long as I could entertain my teachers. Since those days, I have matured, see value in, and enjoy polishing my projects, but the idea of considering and writing for an audience has stuck with me.

Some might say writing is art. I tend to disagree. Writing is merely a means of communication. We all see the same thing. Some process what they see and dwell upon it a little bit longer. Writing is a vehicle that allows us to share some of these thoughts, messages, and vision. Ultimately, because there is no visual component, a reader's imagination has to take over. The writer has no control over the final "product" that resides firmly in the reader's mind.

Photography is much more direct. I can show you exactly what I see through my camera. Better yet, through manipulation of my equipment and the resulting image, I can show you what I want you to see. Ultimately, I consider photography art because the creative process rests solely on the shoulders of the creator. I can't rely on a viewer to turn a crappy image into a good one. Something about that is refreshing and challenging.

Life is interesting, and I just want to share unique moments that I happen to come across on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment