Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Some shots of my nephew from this past weekend:






Lately, I find myself getting a little impatient with my progress in photography. I want to be so much better than I am. Even though I could not take these shots a few months ago, I've also been exposed to a much higher level of photography that I want to get as close to as possible. I might not get there, but I do not want to stay here.

There is an amazing photographer named Joe Buissink based in LA that I follow. His work is pretty classy, and he seems like a remarkable man. What inspires me and challenges me is that he didn't get into photography until he was 44. Inspirational because I think I got a late jump on photography, but challenging because not everyone has the talent of Joe Buissink. I am certain he worked hard to get where he is, but I know hard work alone cannot take one to that level. Having said that, without dedication, there is no way even Joe Buissink could have reached his current level of success.

Instinctively, I enjoy taking more of a photojournalistic approach to photography, but in order to stretch myself and continue my progress, I need to work on setting up more shots and directing my subjects and the action. Photography really is a lot like the movies, just one powerful frame at a time. Taking control of a shoot is something I will keep working on. Rather than waiting for something to come to me (and ultimately running the risk of never getting the shot), I am going to start making it happen. I will see it in my mind and then turn it into reality.

Where this all ends, I do not know. I only know that I have a dream, and I will chase it wherever I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment