Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Truth About Destination Shoots


[Jamaican Sunset]

Just got back from helping shoot a destination wedding in Jamaica. I was a bit surprised at how much work it was compared to a regular wedding, but I enjoy the hustle. Prior to hitting the ground, I imagined it would be much more relaxing (enjoy the beach, pick up the camera occasionally and shoot), but the actual experience was far more intense. Between the heat, location shoots, and three days of coverage, pool time was pretty much limited to the evening and the final day. Relaxation was further cut into by a last minute model shoot. Shooting Austrian-Jamaican twins on the beach didn't really feel like work though...



[Red Stripe]

The picture above is something I came up with in the moment. I initially thought about doing a ring shot with hand prints in the sand (nothing wrong with that concept of course, just cliched), but I am glad I did not follow through. For most of my life, I have always wanted to carve out my own little niche in the world. And whatever I was doing, I wanted to do it differently. Not different just for the sake of being different, but I have always wanted to put my own unique stamp on the beach that is life. My approach to photography is no different. At the very least, I want to work off of established baselines and add my own twist. Paying homage while respecting my own individuality, I dig. As I continue to explore and define myself as an artist, I hope to maintain that attitude.

On the flight home, I could not help but reflect on the whirlwind the last 6 months of my life have been. Looking back even further, I also realize that there is an unknown purpose to the ups and downs of my life. My life may not be unfolding the way I had planned it, but it has certainly not been boring. At the moment, I do not fully understand what or where the body of my experiences is leading me to, but I am starting to think that trying to figure that out is an exercise in futility. There is a time for self-reflection and looking back, but currently I believe my time is better spent engaging in the moment. Following my dreams has gotten me thus far, and I can only hope that will carry me forward the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment