Thursday, May 20, 2010

language of love


[Looking Ahead]

One of more unexpected and surprisingly interesting aspects of my training in photography has been the pleasure of seeing the way different cultures and ethnicities celebrate weddings.

In addition to standard American events, over the last 6 months I have had the privilege of shooting Filipino, Ethiopian, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Pakistani weddings. While I may not be versed or understand the cultural significance of each part of their respective ceremonies, I appreciate the unique twist and flavor that has emerged through each culture.

Sometimes I enjoy not being able to understand what is said, because then I have to rely on my other senses to guide me. While I enjoy words, at times they are a distraction.

Love may be the universal language, but the expression of love and commitment is different across cultures.

And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment